High School Advising

Table of Contents

Click here to print a pdf version of this High School Handbook



Welcome to the C.O.R.E Placer Charter School, a California public charter school.. This High School Handbook will lead you to essential information for your high school career with us, as well as provide a roadmap for your future beyond high school.

C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School is WASC accredited and offers a full a-g course of study for those high school students who wish to pursue this path towards the UC or California State University System.This accreditation and our approved a-g courses allow our students to pursue entrance to a four-year college or university directly out of high school. C.O.R.E. Placer has earned a 6 Year WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accreditation, the highest that a school can achieve. All grades and credits awarded to high school students by C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School are transferrable to other educational institutions, both public and private.

C.O.R.E. Placer is dedicated to helping each enrolled student find their own unique path to success in their individual area of career interest. The world is your classroom, your quest for learning need not be confined to texts and traditional classes. These can be wonderful launch pads, but do not need to be your entire high school experience. Beyond what is required of you within the graduation requirements, your options are endless. Please use this guide to take you to these requirements as well as to spark your mind to the options available to you.

C.O.R.E. Placer offers High School students Lab instruction at the school Resource Centers in Colfax and Auburn. C.O.R.E. Placer also has an extensive school approved vendor list that you can choose from, and use school Instructional Funding to pay for those classes, tutoring, or support services. We partner with our community to offer you CTE Works and ROP classes that you may wish to attend. We are continually evolving to provide educationally sound means to deliver personalized instruction, assessments, focused classes, innovative software and state of the art teaching and learning strategies to respond to and prepare for the changing nature of today’s youth and the changing nature of our world. C.O.R.E. Placer is truly all about Community Options for Resources in Education, and we are happy that you are also partnering with us in this pursuit of excellence in Personalized Learning for your student.

Your assigned Personalized Learning Teacher (PLT) is trained to examine their students’ high school transcripts and provide guidance in course selection and outside activities that will help each student reach their academic and vocational goals. Your high school guidance counselor and/or PLT and this Handbook can help you focus on general information regarding high school graduation, work, college readiness and financial aid planning. You and your family, in conjunction with your PLT, are an effective team working towards not just your high school graduation, but towards your being a confident, balanced, reasoning person and lifelong learner.

Please also see the C.O.R.E. Placer Parent Student Handbook to read about the roles of your PLT, the parent, and the student and to find the general school policies that apply to all students. This C.O.R.E. Placer High School Handbook is a supplement to that Handbook, specifically for those who are planning for or currently taking High School credits and working towards High School Graduation


The Resource Centers are designed to support ALL students of C.O.R.E. Placer.  This year, Colfax and Auburn Centers offer High School Support academic labs. It may be possible for a student to earn elective credits by helping out in a specified area at any of the 3 centers (Ask your PLT for specifics if interested.) The Centers provide opportunities for students to reinforce a variety of academic skills, participate in specialized programs, receive individualized instruction, attend labs, and participate in specialized assessments. The Centers are staffed by a combination of certificated and classified staff and also utilize a variety of credentialed professionals.

  • All High School students are eligible to attend the centers, but no one is required to use a center.
  • If a class or event becomes full, a waiting list is started and C.O.R.E. Placer will serve the students on a first come first serve basis from that list as space becomes available.


Students may, when it is deemed appropriate and allowed by the college, take Community College courses while concurrently enrolled in C.O.R.E. Placer. In order to do this, follow the process below:

Typical Process:

  • Contact the community college to verify their process and if your student is eligible for concurrent enrollment.
  • Contact the school Guidance Counselor for help through the process.
  • Complete the college enrichment form/concurrent enrollment form.
  • Register for classes.
  • Inform your PLT of the course(s) you are taking.
  • Order the required text. (If you will want to keep the textbook or write in it during the college course, you may want to consider purchasing it yourself and not submitting a school PO for its purchase.)

Typical  eligiblility requirement:

  • Are 15 years of age by the first day of instruction, and
  • Have completed at least the 10th grade, and
  • Have a high school GPA of at least 3.0, and
  • Have completed the college’s enrichment form/concurrent enrollment form and received consent from a parent/ guardian and the High School Counselor or designated school personnel.


C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School offers 2 high school paths to graduation.  The course you select when your student begins 9th grade may have unintended consequences when your student decides in 12thgrade that they do want to go directly to a 4 year  college after high school graduation, but they chose to follow the Regular High School Graduation path. It is best to follow the a-g High School path if there is a possibility that your student may want to attend a 4 year college without first attending a 2 year college.

C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School students may begin to take courses for high school credit when academically they are ready to do so.  Students may also accelerate their academic plan, as long as they do not attempt more than 40 credits a semester.  If your student wishes to attempt either of these plans, it is a good idea to talk to the college/university that you may wish to attend to ensure there will be no issues for admittance on down the line.

The C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School Guidance Counselor can assist you in planning your high school schedule leading towards your vocational or academic goals , but cannot ensure any student’s acceptance at any college/university.

C.O.R.E. Placer requires high school students to take a minimum of 25 units/credits to a maximum of 40 units/credits per semester. The typical schedule is 25 to 30 units/credits or 5 or 6 courses (5 units/credits each) per semester. Students with an IEP may have other requirements written into their IEP, which will then be followed.

Regular High School Graduation Requirements: (top)

This is the best High School Graduation path for those students not planning to go to college, those going to a vocational program, or for those planning to go to a 2 year college.

Course Categories Credits
English 30
Algebra 1 10
Other Math Course 10
Life Science 10
Physical Science 10
World Studies 10
U.S. History 10
Government 5
Economics 5
VAPA/Foreign Language 10
Physical Education 20
Life Skills/Vocational 10
Electives 70
Total 210

a-g High School Graduation Requirements: (top)

This high school graduation path is for those who intend to go directly to a 4 year college.  It is also good for those going to a 2 year college first, but intending to transfer to a 4 year college.

Course Categories a-g School Specific Courses Credits
English a-g English 9; a-g English 10; a-g English 11; a-g English 12 40
Algebra 1 a-g Algebra 1 10
Other Math Course a-g Algebra II; a-g Geometry 20
Life Science a-g Biology 10
Physical Science a-g Chemistry or a-g Physics 10
World Studies a-g World History 10
U.S. History a-g U.S. History 10
Government a-g Government 5
Economics a-g Economics 5
Physical Education PE 1; PE 2 20
Foreign Language (2 yrs same language) a-g Spanish I; a-g Spanish II 20
Social Science* a-g Sociology 10
Required Elective C.O.R.E Placer requires a-g World History that will meet this requirement. 0
Life Skills/Vocational Your choice of course 10
Additional Electives (10 more credits of an a-g math is recommended.) a-g higher level math you haven’t yet taken; a-g CSU Expository Reading and Writing; AP English Lit and Comp; a-g Earth Science 20
Total 15 a-g classes required; 18 recommended 210

* A Social Science a-g course is required for CSU admission as a Freshman, but may not be required for a UC Freshman admission. To expand your options, we recommend you consider completing this requirement.

 Suggested Schedules for High School Completion (top)

210 Minimum Credits are required for graduation

These are suggested guidelines only. You may modify your individual
student’s schedule by working with your PLT.

Regular Graduation a-g High School Graduation
9th Grade 9th Grade
10 – English 9

10 – Algebra 1

10 – Earth Science

10 – Physical Education 1

10 – VAPA or Foreign Language

50 Credits

10 – a-g English 9

10 – a-g Algebra 1 or a-g Geometry

10 – a-g Biology

10 – Physical Education 1

10 – a-g Art History

10 – Elective (a-g or regular)

60 Credits

10th Grade 10th Grade
10 – English 10

10 – Geometry or Algebra 2

10 – World History

10 – Biology

10 – Physical Education 2

50 Credits

10 – a-g English 10

10 – a-g Geometry or a-g Algebra 2

10 – a-g World History

10 – a-g Chemistry

10 – Physical Education 2

10 – a-g Foreign Language 1

60 Credits

11th Grade 11th Grade
10 – English 11

10 – U.S. History

10 – Life Skills or Vocational Elective

30 – Electives

60 Credits

10 – a-g English 11

10 – a-g U.S. History

10 – a-g Higher math of choice

10 – a-g Physics

10 – a-g Foreign Language 2

10 – Electives (a-g or regular)

60 Credits

12th Grade 12th Grade
10 – English 12

5 – U.S. Government

5 — Economics

30 – Electives

50 Credits

10 – a-g English 12

5 – a-g U.S. Government

5  – a-g Economics

10 – a-g Sociology

20 – Electives (a-g or regular)

10 – Life Skills or Vocational Elective

60 Credits


CSU or University bound students must take college preparatory (a-g) courses to enter as Freshmen. Most Community College UC transferable courses meet university entrance requirements and count towards the required High School a-g credits. Talk to your PLT or your guidance counselor for help.

Course Designation Descriptions (top)
Course requirements for Regular or a-g courses can be met in a variety of ways.  You can choose to use traditional textbooks, online approved or in person vendor classes, group classes, etc.  Your PLT, along with our Guidance Counselor, will help you develop a plan that meets your educational goals and prepare you for whichever path you choose on your academic journey.
Regular Courses
Any non-a-g school course and most elective courses are designated as Regular courses.  Regular courses count towards graduation from C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School.  Completion of these courses with a C or better develops a level of proficiency in the subject area and preparation for community college work and vocational programs after High School graduation. They do not, however, meet the University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) systems entrance requirements, and may not meet the requirement for entering other 4 year colleges/universities as well (consult with your higher institution of choice for specific details, as most schools have their individual requirements).

To learn more about community colleges as a stepping-stone to a university or for 2-year degrees please see your counselor, PLT, Community College website or Community College Transfer Expert.

UC/CSU “a-g” Courses
These courses fulfill an ‘a-g’ subject area requirement for entering into a University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) directly after high school. Our school submits course descriptions for these ‘a-g’ courses for approval by the UC system and they have been approved as rigorous preparation for a 4-year university. It is imperative to follow the a-g course syllabus (info listed below) in order for these classes to be deemed ‘a-g’ on the student’s transcript. To be eligible for the UC or CSU systems, you must complete each course with a grade of C or higher.

UC expects the following from non-site-based independent study programs providing ‘a-g’ approved coursework:

Students are expected to spend at least one hour per week per ‘a-g’ course engaged in interactive instruction and/or academic tutoring/advising. This instruction and/or support may be provided onsite or through virtual means.

Students taking a UC-approved ‘a-g’ course are expected to have regular access (i.e., at least weekly) to a teacher who is a subject expert teacher in that subject area, whether in person or by phone or email. The teacher should be available to answer students’ questions about curriculum, explain assignments, and provide feedback on student work. The school will let you know who that teacher is each year.

Students should be assessed to ensure mastery of the content standards. Acceptable assessments include, but are not limited to, tests, essays, projects, research papers, presentations, and exams. All courses must have a final exam or a significant final project. Work with your PLT for your chosen assignments.

At least major assessments (i.e., unit tests, final exams) shall be proctored by a qualified professional (e.g., a school teacher, administrator, counselor, or paraprofessional who fulfills an instructional role, librarian, university personnel, or test center administrator).

Student work shall be evaluated by an impartial professional who has been actively involved in the student’s learning process. Your PLT fulfills this role.

The following list contains the list of courses your student may enroll in, plus the High School Graduation category where that course will count when completed.  Most courses are expected to be 5 credits per semester, and can either be a semester or a year long course.  There are no school provided course syllabi for regular courses, but the school guidance counselor or your PLT can provide a course syllabus for you if you wish.  All core subject area courses (those with core standards) are expected to include progress towards the core standards, but you are also free to include expanded or other areas of study in that course, according to the student’s interests.
Category CORE Placer Regular Course Name Course Category
English Journalism Electives
English English 9 Language Arts
English English 10 Language Arts
English English 11 Language Arts
English English 12 Language Arts
Foreign Languages German 1

German 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages German 3

German 4

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Italian 1

Italian 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Italian 3

Italian 4

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages French 1

French 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages French 3

French 4

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Spanish 1

Spanish 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Spanish 3

Spanish 4

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Russian 1

Russian 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Russian 3

Russian 4

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Latin 1

Latin 2

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Chinese I

Chinese II

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages Japanese I

Japanese II

Foreign Languages
Foreign Languages ASL 1




Foreign Languages
Music Music appreciation Elective
Music Music Theory Elective
Music Voice Electives
Music Musical Theater Elective
Music Advanced Cello

Advanced Guitar

Advanced Piano

Beginning Guitar


Electric bass



Intermediate Guitar


musical instruments




Dance Dance 1 Elective
Dance Dance 2 Elective
Mathematics Consumer Math Mathematics
Mathematics Algebra 1 Mathematics
Mathematics Algebra 2 Mathematics
Mathematics Trigonometry Mathematics
Mathematics Probability and Statistics Mathematics
Mathematics Geometry Mathematics
Mathematics Pre Calculus Mathematics
Mathematics Calculus Mathematics
Mathematics Pre-Algebra Mathematics
Computer Education Computer literacy Electives/Life Skills
Computer Education Computer programming Electives /Vocational
PE PE 1 Physical Education
PE PE 2 Physical Education
Health Education Health Electives
Elec tive Life Skills Electives
Special Designated Subjects Driver’s Education (4 units max) Electives
Special Designated Subjects Driver training (1 unit max) Electives
Science Astronomy Physical Science
Science Biology Life Science
Science Chemistry Physical Science
Science Physical Science Physical Science
Science Physics Physical Science
Science Earth Science Physical Science
Science Life Science Life Science
Science Anatomy and Physiology Life Science
Social Science Economics Social Studies
Social Science Government Social Studies
Social Science United States History Social Studies
Social Science World History Social Studies
Social Science Geography Electives
Social Science Psychology Electives
Social Science Sociology Social Studies
Social Science Career education Vocational
Social Science Comparative world religions Electives
Art Ceramics Electives
Art Art History VAPA/Electives
Art Photography Electives
Art Drawing Electives
Art Painting Electives
Art Cinematography Electives
Art Art Appreciation Visual and Performing Arts
Art Digital Art Electives
Art Yearbook Electives
Art Fundamentals of Art Visual and Performing Arts
Drama/Theater Drama 1 Visual and Performing Arts
Drama/Theater Drama 2 Visual and Performing Arts
Elective Animal Science Electives
Elective Personal Finance Electives
a-g COURSE NAMES (top)
As of the 2016/17 school year, C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School has 19 a-g approved courses. The UC/CSU system requires 15 to 18 a-g courses to be taken in high school for admission as a Freshman without additional student requirements to prove they are ready for the rigor of the UC/CSU system. Please let your PLT know if there is a higher level course in any of the Categories that your student would like to take.  There is a process for submitting a new course for approval, and this process takes some time, so please begin planning in March for the courses you would like to take the next Fall.

a-g courses require that the course syllabus be followed in rigor, or the course name may be changed to a regular course name if the work isn’t done by the student. Enrolled Parents /Students may find the  course syllabus for planning purposes by clicking on the link for the course name below from the website, or on the a-g link from your Parent Square, if you have your account set up):

    Category Course Name—a-g CourseCategory
  English a-g English 9  Language Arts
  English a-g English 10  Language Arts
  English a-g English 11  Language Arts
  English a-g English 12  Language Arts
  Foreign Languages a-g Spanish 1  Foreign Languages
  Foreign Languages a-g Spanish 2  Foreign Languages
  Foreign Languages a-g French 1 Foreign Languages
  Mathematics a-g Algebra I  Mathematics
  Mathematics a-g Algebra 2  Mathematics
  Mathematics a-g Geometry  Mathematics
  Science a-g Biology  Science
  Science a-g Chemistry w/Lab  Science
  Elective a-g Earth Science  Elective
  Social Studies a-g Economics    Social Studies
  Social Studies a-g US Government  Social Studies
  Social Studies a-g United States History  Social Studies
  Social Studies a-g World History  Social Studies
  Social Science a-g Sociology  Social Science
  Art a-g Art History  Electives
  The UC system assigns extra weight to grades received in approved honors-level courses to encourage students to undertake more challenging studies in high school. Note the required pre-and co-requesitives on the syllabus if you wish to take any of these courses.

Enrolled Parents /Students may find the  course syllabus for planning purposes by clicking on the link for the course name below (you will need to have your Parent Square account set up):

Category Course Name-a-g Honors Course Category
     Science a-g Honors Chemistry Science
     Science a-g Honors Anatomy and Physiology Science


Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the location of the employer as well as the number of hours a minor may work, therefore you must have a job offer before requesting a work permit.

If a student is not completing their schoolwork adequately, the school may not issue a work permit, or may cancel a work permit already issued. We encourage students to explore career options, and working is a way to do this. But, we cannot allow a job to interfere with your education.

How do I know if I need a work permit? When you receive  job offer or a position that is NOT on this exempt list below.There are 10 exclusions to work permit requirements for California minors:

  1. When the minor has graduated from a high school maintaining a four-year course above the eighth grade (EC Section 49101)
  2. When the minor has as had an equal amount of education in a private school (EC Section 49110)
  3. When the minor has been awarded with a certificate of proficiency, better known as the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) (EC Section 49101; LC Section 1286)
  4. When the minor has been awarded with a certificate of equivalency, better known as the General Educational Development (GED) (EC Section 51425)
  5. When the minor is employed by parents/guardians in agriculture, horticulture, viticulture, or domestic labor on or in connection with property the parents/guardians owns, operates, or controls (LC Section 1394)
  6. When the minor is self-employed (EC sections 49112 and 49160; LC Section 1299)
  7. When the minor is employed by a governmental agency (i.e. state and local agencies) (29 USC 203(s)(1))
  8. When the minor receives payment for services or prize money for horseback riding exhibition, contest, or event (EC sections 49119 and 49165; LC Section 1308)
  9. When the minor is irregularly employed in odd jobs in private homes, such as baby-sitting, lawn mowing, and leaf raking (18 Ops. Cal. Atty. Gen. 114, August 31, 1951)
  10. When the minor is an unpaid-trainee, volunteer, or non-paid student (5 CCR Section 10121)

C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School Process for a work permit:

  1. The student, after obtaining a promise of employment, completes this form: “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit – Certificate of Age” (CDE Form B1-1).
  2. Complete the “minor” section, request that the employer and your parent complete their sections (making certain to obtain both required signatures), and then return the completed form to the school guidance counselor.
  3. The school’s guidance counselor will verify all information on the work permit and check with the student’s PLT concerning your schoolwork progress. If all requirements are met, the authorized work permit will be forwarded to the student.
  4. Please plan ahead, especially if a school break is approaching and you want to work.


CTE WORKS (formerly 49er ROP) is a Regional Occupation Program offering the opportunity to explore and prepare for careers and college, learn valuable skills, and in some courses, participate in an internship. Sponsored by local school districts and the Placer County Office of Education, CTE WORKS brings education and business together, with the common goal of delivering excellent training and opportunities to educate and prepare the future workforce of Placer County.

  • ROP (Regional Occupation Program) Courses:

Listed below are several other programs that are offered to our students. Please check with your local CTE / ROP for current openings and course offerings.   The courses change by semester and academic year. When enrolling, be sure to list C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School as the school you are enrolled in so that they will send grades and credits to us at the end of each semester for inclusion on your high school transcript.


Here are some Outside Links You May Find Helpful as you Prepare to Transition from High School to College/Career. These links are not affiliated with C.O.R.E. Placer Charter School, and may be subject to change:


Our unique, one of a kind website provides individuals with one central location to find current, detailed information about which jobs are in high demand in the Sacramento Region, how much they pay, what type of education or training is recommended, and where you can go to get it. All the information you need in one place!

College Board
Students can register for the SAT online and receive their test center assignments right away, and find practice for the SAT tests as well.

California State University Mentor
California State University system student-campus matching service, financial aid calculator and info, electronic application, campus tours .

California Colleges

The official source for college and career planning for students in California.  This website is worth going to, beginning in 7th or 8th grade!

Mapping Your Future

Our goal at Mapping Your Future is to help students plan for higher education by offering reliable and

unbiased money management advice and counseling. Online and offline resources include college

preparation, school selection, career exploration, and counseling aimed at helping students and

families better understand student loan obligations and learn about practical money management

solutions to ensure healthy finances while in school and beyond.

Match College

Matchcollege.com provides students with the resources necessary to evaluate and compare schools

through information on admissions, tuition, financial aid opportunities, housing and more. We work

to ensure that information is easily accessible and useful by presenting it in a concise yet

comprehensive way.



Fastweb is your connection to scholarships, colleges, financial aid and more.



Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid